The mainstream media is doing its best this weekend to extract the National disaster of Obamacare from the headlines. The crowbar it has been provided is the announcement by the Obama/Jarrett team of a deal with Iran. The MSM’s representations concerning the sanctions/nuclear agreement are almost as useful as the Administration’s, “you can keep your doctor.”
Let’s get the humour contained in this, “historical agreement,” out of the way. This bit of humour, for example, should cause common sense to scream with laughter, before depression sets in, “The first step would be time-bound, with a duration of 6 months, and renewable by mutual consent, during which all parties will work to maintain a constructive atmosphere for negotiations in good faith.” Hard to believe, however, The Joint Plan Of Action, as the deal is called, actually uses a term like, “good faith,” not only implying a degree of confidence in Khamenei’s word, but implicitly affirming an absolute reliance on the trustworthiness of Iran’s supreme power, Ali Hosseini Khamenei. No need to regurgitate how he feels about America, or about Israel. He is a religious zealot whose mind will not be moved. And yet, suddenly, this Administration lays one pillar in the construct of an agreement, which has the potential to affect all of mankind, on this man’s “good faith.” So what could go wrong?
Everything. How do we know? Simple: Liars doing deals with Liars and claiming Liars can be trusted leads to disaster for the unsuspecting. Which one is the “liar” referred to here? Does it matter?
Let’s become wall flowers and insinuate ourselves into a very private, very secret, meeting occurring in Teheran during the past year.
• Ali Hosseini Khamenei (Ayatollah – Supreme Leader): “Don’t do what that hothead Ahmadinejad did, know your place, and you’ll keep your job, Rouhani.”
• Hassan Rouhani (President): “Thank you, your holiness. Your holiness, Mohammad Javad Zarif will do as you directed. That was a brilliant idea. We’ll get them to lift sanctions while allowing their inspectors long term access to certain well known nuclear development sites. They can inspect all they want, and they will provide us all of the new and latest technology to advance our nuclear energy program. They will love our agreeing to limit our enrichment levels. We’ll have the best nuclear energy plants in the world you holiness. And we’ll use the knowledge to continue enriching uranium for our nuclear weapon efforts, unrestrained. As you pointed out, the most glorious part of your strategy is that once the UN or European inspectors arrive, Iran will be safe from any independent and rogue threat from Israel. Israel will not be able to risk killing inspectors. Israel would not risk sparking the international ire that would result. Astute and dazzling, your holiness. We are inviting as many inspectors as we can distribute around Iran and they will be housed very comfortably. And we will move them around without notice, so that no one will know where they are ahead of time. We will be safe from Israeli interference. That should really rub them the wrong way. Israel won’t know what hit it.”
• Ali Hosseini Khamenei (Ayatollah – Supreme Leader): “Aren’t you forgetting something?”
• Hassan Rouhani (President): “Oh, yes your holiness. The American Administration badly needs something to brag about. They will agree to whatever we ask. That is really superb thinking your holiness. They will agree to lift sanctions on our oil exports.”
• Ali Hosseini Khamenei (Ayatollah – Supreme Leader): “Now get out. Go get it done. And send in Mohammed to bring me up-to-date on my hundred billion dollar trust.”
Analysis of the MSM’s sermons and lies on this piece of swagger, such as CNN’s claim that it “doesn’t lift sanctions on oil” are not worth revealing or debating. Ruthless minds have negotiated against novices whose motives are baffling Americans, and yet the MSM continues to carry the water for this Administration, even as it spills most of that water all over itself.
A constituent of the vast baby boomer generation with a career which has been fortunate to know the ponderous corporate worlds, as well as the intimately pressurized, and invigorating entrepreneurial domains of high tech and venture capital, I have harvested my share of mistakes meandering through corridors of enterprise from Silicon Valley, to London and endless, colourful, sometimes praetorian points in between. The voyage has provided an abundance of fodder for a pen yielding to an inquisitive keyboard, a foraging mind, and a passionate spirit.
Whether political or business or social or economic or personal, is it not all political? It is a privilege to write, and an even greater privilege to be read by anyone, and sometimes with the wind at my back the writing may occasionally be legible. I do not write to invite scorn, nor to invite respect, but if I get really lucky the writing can stimulate thinking. I also write for the very selfish purpose of animating my own processes, and engaging the best of what life offers. Above all, whether biting fire or swatting shadows, I am grateful to be gifted the freedom to write and publish whatever flows down to the keyboard. To all those who enabled this freedom, and to all those standing guard to preserve it, I am indebted.