In his latest signing statement Obama said:
“My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens,” Obama said in the signing statement. “Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation.”
Now why would he even need to say that were it not possible?
Does his signing statement make you feel safer? It ought not. After all, it was Obama who said unequivocally that he would not use signing statements to “get his way.”
Obviously it is now possible for Obama to hold any American he deems a potential terrorist indefinitely without trial.
And who can be declared a terrorist? Among the possibilities are these:
People or groups who:
* Provide identification that is inconsistent or suspect or demand identity “privacy”
* Insist on paying with cash or uses credit card(s) in different names
* Make suspicious comments regarding anti-US, radical theology, vague or cryptic warnings that suggests or appear to endorse the use of violence in support of a cause
* Demonstrate interest in uses that do not seem consistent with the intended use of the item being purchased
* Possess little knowledge of intended purchase items
* Make bulk purchases of items to include:
-Weatherproofed ammunition or match containers
-Meals Ready to Eat
-Night Vision Devices; night flashlights; gas masks
-High capacity magazines
-Bi-pods or tri-pods for rifles
I am not comforted by Obama’s assurance that he would not detain an American indefinitely. Not one bit, especially given the bona fide idiots who are in charge of the Department of Injustice and Homeland Insecurity. And considering this- my brother-in-law and I formed a partnership to buy and rent a condo at a ski resort. We were notified that we had subsequently been placed on a terrorist watch list.
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.