Update 2: North Korean Leader Kim’s full statement (via KCNA):
The decision “to include the great victory of the economic construction and nuclear armed forces construction transfer line” includes the following decisions.
- First, in the course of struggle to carry out the party’s translation, we carried out the nuclear test and the underground nuclear test, the miniaturization and the lightening of the nuclear weapon, and the project for the development of the ultra-large nuclear weapon and the transportation means sequentially and faithfully realized the nuclear weaponization. I declare it solemnly.
- Second, from April 21st, Juche 107 (2018), the nuclear test and the intercontinental ballistic rocket test will be discontinued. North Korea’s nuclear test center will be discarded in order to ensure the transparency of the suspension of the nuclear test.
- Third, the suspension of nuclear testing is an important process for global nuclear disarmament, and the DPRK will join international efforts and efforts to halt the nuclear test altogether.
- Fourth, we will never use nuclear weapons unless there is nuclear threat or nuclear provocation to our country, and in any case we will not transfer nuclear weapons and nuclear technology.
- Fifth, we will concentrate all the efforts to build up a strong socialist economy and mobilize the human and material resources of the country to dramatically raise people’s lives.
- Sixth, we will establish a favorable international environment for the construction of a socialist economy, and will intensify close dialogue and dialogue with neighboring countries and the international community in order to protect the peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula and the world.
There is one small caveat before everyone celebrates. As Vipin Narang notes,
“The precise language here is important. Closing the testing site doesn’t preclude atmospheric nuclear tests for example (or other sites). And missile tests could still be conducted under the guise of space launch vehicles. Language matters— for how it can be potentially flanked.”
Update 1: We suspect the odds below just went way down!!!
* * *
As we detailed earlier, just a few short days after President Trump proclaimed “mission accomplished” in Syria, North Korea’s leader has followed suit, reportedly say the nuclear test site in the north of the country has completed its mission and will be abandoned.
Furthermore, Yonhap reports Kim says no further nuclear tests are needed, and will stop launching test-flights of ICBMson April 21st.
As a reminder, the nuclear test facility in the northern part of the country was potentially a major problem as we noted previously the fact that it was collapsing.
Additionally, KCNA reports that North Korea says it will actively engage dialogue with the international community to achieve peace and refocus on economic growth.
Seems like that trip to Beijing recently made some serious difference!!
While there are few details, it is hard to misinterpret the Korean headlines.
We are sure President Trump will be quick to congratulate Kim (and himself).
Hard to see how this is not a big win for Trump!
@kitt: Powdered Wig?—another sick article Kitt–What the hell’s the matter with you Kitt? Does supporting a lying con man like Trump ever make you feel dirty?
Mueller vs Trump coming up—IMHO no contest
You wanna continue to bash Mac have at it—only makes YOU look bad.
One last time it’s Corps not corps. How many years did your son in law serve? When were his two V.N tours? Semper Fi to him.
@kitt: Well, you know nothing about enthusiastically supporting a party that HATES the military while you pretend to believe they are honorable. You don’t narrowly selectively denounce and vilify some veterans while praising any that support attacks on America and our Constitution. See, even though you have representatives like Murtha that call those in the military criminals and a former President who let the VA spiral downward, leaving vets to die in the waiting room, it is your duty to attack and lie about a President who is not ashamed to support, honor and defend the military. You also have to learn that defending and supporting anyone that denounces and attacks our country is what liberals consider “patriotic”.
@Richard Wheeler: It was my brother in VN early 70s as a chopper gunner, my Son in law was in the ME, glad he didn’t like the rules or he may have never met my daughter hes a good man, great Father.
McCain will not get my respect with his lies to get elected then thumbs down on his promises.@Deplorable Me: I know some guys have forgot as they sit in the lazyboy watching cable never checking out if what they are being told holds water. Dont look beyond Snopes or Politifactless.
Funny they think we care what we “look” like to them.
Perhaps he doesn’t remember that Hillary and Obama deliberately destabilized Libya, Hillary to open business opportunity for her vulturous partner Bluenthal and Obama at the behest of the EU to protect their access to Libyan oil. He should be made aware that the two bumbling bunglers are no longer in power and he is dealing with a serious leader now.
@kitt: They may be too ignorant to be aware they are being lied to by the MSM, but mostly they WANT to hear only the lies, as it reinforces their own bigotry.
Commercial Satellites Reveal North Korean Missile Base
Trump is an idiot and so is anyone who believes him.
@James D: What does Trump have to do with it? Unlike Obama, he has not front-loaded his peace initiative with all the benefits. He has given up nothing and if N. Korea does not honor the terms of the agreement, they GET nothing. Trump is smart; Obama was an idiot and so was anyone that supported and believed him.
@Deplorable Me: Built those with American Tax dollars from former administrations that shoveled him cash every time he or his daddy rattled a sabre.
He was never chatting with S. Korea after his payments, the “humanitarian aid” never reached the people.
We have some prisoners sprung, and the remains of some of our soldiers.
@kitt: Crybaby liberals cannot stand the fact that Trump gets more accomplished with a tweet and a stern look than Obama could with pallets of cash and bowing.