Anthony Weiner confirmed Tuesday that he was behind a series of newly released explicit messages sent to a woman who was not his wife that were allegedly sent after a sexting scandal forced him out of Congress in 2011.
The Dirty, a gossip website, posted screenshots of exchanges the former congressman had over the social networks Facebook and Formspring with a woman he met online — conversations she says she had with Weiner as late as August 2012, more than a year after he left Congress.
In a statement to reporters, the Democratic mayoral hopeful confirmed he sent the messages, some of which were sent under the name “Carlos Danger.” But Weiner did not address the issue of when the messages were sent.
“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have,” Weiner said. “As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress.”
He added, “While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me.”
Weiner said he had apologized to his wife, longtime Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, and that he was “grateful” for her “forgiveness.”
“I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused,” Weiner said. “As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward.”
Weiner resigned from Congress in June 2011 after he was busted sending explicit pictures and texts to several women. The former lawmaker largely stayed out of the public eye until earlier this year, when he announced he was exploring a last-minute bid to replace outgoing Mayor Michael Bloomberg.