I really despise Nancy Pelosi but this time she has done something really, really distasteful and entirely disrespectful to the US military.
When a soldier falls in service or a veteran passes, it is customary to drape the coffin with a flag of the United States for the funeral and present it to a family member.
The Flag Itself
The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing states our veterans served in uniform. The field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted only when draped as a funeral cloth over the casket of a veteran who has served our country honorably in uniform. In the U.S. Armed Forces, at the ceremony of retreat, the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation’s honored dead. The next morning it is brought out and, at a ceremony of reveille, flown high as a symbol of belief in the resurrection of the body.
At the conclusion of the funeral the flag is folded 13 times and there is a meaning to those folds:
- The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.
- The second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.
- The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.
- The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; as American citizens trusting in God, it is Him we turn to in times of peace, as well as in times of war, for His divine guidance.
- The fifth fold is a tribute to our country. In the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong.”
- The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
- The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.
- The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.
- The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood. It has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that has molded the character of the men and women who have made this country great.
- The 10th fold is a tribute to father, who has also given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.
- The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.
- The 13th and last fold, when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God We Trust.”
After folding, the flag takes on a unique shape:
After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it has the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under Gen. George Washington and the sailors and Marines who served under Capt. John Paul Jones and were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the U.S. Armed Forces, preserving for us the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy today.
This is a military honor, although if desired, an American may have a small star flag on the casket, but large star flags are for military veterans and (cough) politicians. This is a large star flag.
George Floyd’s brother was presented with a large star folded flag by nancy pelosi.
Pelosi presents folded flag to George Floyd's brother. I must be wrong. I thought they only did this for service men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice? pic.twitter.com/7CivuC1VBW
— Lets Go Brandon! – 2A Deplorable – Greg (@Im_bonafide) June 14, 2020
George Floyd- who did not deserve to die- was no saint. He had a lengthy rap sheet. He was not a veteran.
I was presented a flag once, at my father’s funeral. It proudly resides in my home. My father was a WWII combat vet, part of the Greatest Generation. The real thing.
I resent what Pelosi did. It cheapens and politicizes what military honors are supposed to mean. She took a knee for Black Lives Matter but not for Chris Kyle.
They are diminished by her actions. Perhaps she can unilaterally award Floyd the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Everybody gets a trophy whenever it helps politically.