No, this isn’t a picture describing Obama’s military budget cuts. I took this picture today here at Ft. Hood because of the absurdity of it! This Soldier is cutting the grass WITH A KEVLAR ON!!
Is the Army afraid that an armed ninja groundhog is going to spring from the grass and open up with a fury never before witnessed on earth? Maybe we’re worried that the sky is going to all on his head. Or, perhaps, he may fall off the lawn mower going around a corner and the impact from falling two and half feet would be too much for his noggin! Yet, we’re forcing him to wear an Advanced Combat Helmet – a piece of equipment worth more than $1,000 – to mow the lawn!
So, that got me to thinking about safety. I mean, if we’re serious about safety, I noticed some glaring violations here:
1. No reflective belt. He could get hit by a semi-truck that just didn’t see him!
2. No steel toed boots. What if he falls off and the mower runs over his toes! Oh the horror!
3. No hearing protection. Yes, it’s a John Deere and probably not that loud, but what if a rocks ricochets off the building and lodges in his inner ear canal?
4. No M9 pistol. How else would he deal with that ninja groundhog?!
5. No IFAK (Improved First Aid Kit). I mean without wearing all the other stuff, he NEEDS this!
6. No gloves. That steering wheel has to be hot in the Texas sun.
7. No knee or elbow pads. In order for him to be able to take out the ninja groundhog, he’ll need to a quick PLF off the mower into a duck and roll fighting position. We don’t need him skinning up vital joints in the process.
8. No NCO. WHY ISN’T THERE A SERGEANT PROTECTING THIS TROOPER AND WATCHING HIS SIX?!