Following the attacks in Benghazi that took the lives of four Americans, including the Ambassador to Libya, the Obama administration blamed the violence on a spontaneous protest of a home-made video that is said to insult Islam.
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi last week was not premeditated, directly contradicting top Libyan officials who say the attack was planned in advance.
“Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous – not a premeditated – response to what had transpired in Cairo,” Rice told me this morning on “This Week.”
“In Cairo, as you know, a few hours earlier, there was a violent protest that was undertaken in reaction to this very offensive video that was disseminated,” Rice said, referring to protests in Egypt Tuesday over a film that depicts the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud. Protesters in Cairo breached the walls of the U.S. Embassy, tearing apart an American flag.
“We believe that folks in Benghazi, a small number of people came to the embassy to – or to the consulate, rather, to replicate the sort of challenge that was posed in Cairo,” Rice said. “And then as that unfolded, it seems to have been hijacked, let us say, by some individual clusters of extremists who came with heavier weapons… And it then evolved from there.”
Two weeks after then attack Barack Obama went to the United Nations to again blame a video:
First Hillary blamed the video for the attacks:
During a hearing, Hillary famously claimed it didn’t matter what caused the attacks and then said it was necessary to determine what caused them.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR3XTOjZPfg
Now we know they lied. They all lied. Repeatedly. Everyone on Earth knew the attack was premeditated, including the Libyan President:
Libya President Mohamed Yousef El-Magariaf said Sunday that 50 arrests have been made in connection with last week’s “preplanned” attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that left U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead.
“The way these perpetrators acted and moved — I think we, and they’re choosing the specific date for this so-called demonstration, I think we have no, this leaves us with no doubt that this was pre-planned, determined,” Magariaf said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”
“And you believe that this was the work of Al Qaeda, and you believe that it was led by foreigners. Is that what you’re telling us?” CBS host Bob Schieffer asked.
“It was planned, definitely. It was planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago. And they were planning this criminal act since their arrival,” Magariaf said.
And he disclosed from where the perpetrators came:
Magariaf said that more than 50 arrests have been made with some suspects from Mali and Algeria. “They entered Libya from different directions. Some of them definitely from Mali and Algeria,” Magariaf said.
Mali? Did someone say Mali?
So many weapons were procured by Al Qaida that is was able to take much of Mali:
Meanwhile, the fall of Gaddafi caused his arms dumps to be thrown open, flooding Libya with illegal weapons. Unsurprisingly, extremists from across the region seized their opportunity. “Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb,” the North African branch of bin Laden’s terror network, plundered this new source of weapons, becoming so well armed that it was able to capture 300,000 square miles of Mali earlier this year, in concert with local allies.
Libyan weapons have turned up as far away as Nigeria, flowing into the hands of Boko Haram, one of the most dangerous extremist groups in Africa. Israel believes that Libyan guns have even been smuggled into the Gaza Strip. As an unintended consequence of Gaddafi’s downfall, radicals from Algeria to Nigeria – and from Mali to the Sinai Peninsula – have become better armed and more dangerous.
To this day the regime denies Al Qaeda involvement:
A reporter asked White House Press Secretary Jay Carney why the administration waited until now to recognize the groups as terrorist organizations, if they were Al Qaeda affiliates and if the recognition came because of the Benghazi attacks.
“Ansar al-Shari’a was not designated,” Carney said. “Ansar al-Shari’a groups were designated as terrorist organizations.”
He want to say, “None of these Ansar al-Shari’a organizations are official affiliates for Al Qaeda under Ayman al-Zawahiri.”
At least one prominent liberal Democrat well-acquainted with intelligence on the matter disputes the conclusions of the New York Times regarding the deadly September 11, 2012 attack on an American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
“Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) rejected the Times’s conclusion that al Qaeda wasn’t responsible for the attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans,” reported Julian Pecquet today, adding (emphasis mine):
She also took issue with the notion that the Libya strike was sparked by a U.S.-made anti-Islam video online.
“I believe that groups loosely associated with al Qaeda were” involved in the attack, she told The Hill last week. “That’s my understanding.”
She also disputed the notion that the Sept. 11, 2012, assault evolved from a protest against the video, which was widely disseminated by Islamic clerics shortly before the attack.
“It doesn’t jibe with me,” she said.
The State Department finally has gotten around to identifying the groups involved in the attacks:
The State Department on Friday for the first time blamed specific groups and militants for the 2012 Benghazi attack, designating them as terrorists — a move that further undermines initial claims the attack was spontaneous.
The department announced that it was labeling Ansar al-Sharia in Benghazi and Ansar al-Sharia in Darnah as terror organizations, in part over their role in the Benghazi attack. It applied the same label to Ansar al-Sharia in Tunisia, over a separate attack on Americans in Tunis.
The State Department also labeled as terrorists Sufian bin Qumu, head of the Darnah branch and a former Guantanamo Bay detainee, and Ahmed Abu Khattalah, head of the Benghazi branch.
Sufian bin Qumu has quite the resume:
a. Prior History: Detainee served as a tank driver in the Libyan armed forces as a private. The Libyan Government states he was addicted to illegal drugs/narcotics and had been accused of a number of crimes including: murder, physical assault, armed assault, and distributing narcotics. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison. In 1993, he escaped from prison and fled to Egypt. He traveled to Afghanistan (AF) and trained at Usama Bin Laden’s (UBL) Torkham Camp. After participating in the Soviet jihad, he moved to Sudan (SU). Detainee worked as a truck driver for Wadi Al-’Aqiq, one of UBL’s companies in Suba, SU. The Libyan Govemment further stated detainee joined LIFG and was assigned to the military committee. Under pressure from the Libyan and Sudanese governments, he left Sudan sometime in 1997, using a false Mauritanian passport. He traveled to Pakistan (PK), where he resided in the area near the Al-Atariyah University/mosque (variants Al Yassir Al Khayria, Athariya and Atharia) in Peshawar.
b. Training and Activities: In 1998, he withdrew from the LIFG and joined the Taliban movement (this is likely a reference to Al-Qaida support to the Taliban). He moved to Peshawar where he lived with Abu Zayd Al-Tunisi (assessed to be US9LY-000721). In 2000, he lived in the tribal region of Peshawar, PK (This is an area under tribal control, not government control. UBL was known to have spent time in this area). He communicated with likely extremist elements in Afghanistan via radio during this period, indicating a position of leadership. Around August to November 2001, detainee worked for Al-Wafa in Kabul, AF. Detainee fought with the Taliban against the Northern Alliance and was wounded in the leg. He left Kabul around mid-November 2001. Khalid Mahmound Abdul Al Wahad, US9JO-000589, stated detainee fled to Peshawar, where he likely assisted the Qadhafi Foundation in relocating extremists and their families. Detainee arrived in Peshawar no later than 4 December 2001, after transiting first through Logar, AF, and then Khowst, AF.
Now we learn that the regime knew within minutes that it was a terrorist attack and it did not arise from a protest:
Minutes after the American consulate in Benghazi came under assault on Sept. 11, 2012, the nation’s top civilian and uniformed defense officials — headed for a previously scheduled Oval Office session with President Obama — were informed that the event was a “terrorist attack,” declassified documents show. The new evidence raises the question of why the top military men, one of whom was a member of the president’s Cabinet, allowed him and other senior Obama administration officials to press a false narrative of the Benghazi attacks for two weeks afterward.
Gen. Carter Ham, who at the time was head of AFRICOM, the Defense Department combatant command with jurisdiction over Libya, told the House in classified testimony last year that it was him who broke the news about the unfolding situation in Benghazi to then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The tense briefing — in which it was already known that U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens had been targeted and had gone missing — occurred just before the two senior officials departed the Pentagon for their session with the commander in chief.
Liars. All of them liars.
Numerous aides to the president and then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton repeatedly told the public in the weeks following the murder of Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans that night — as Obama’s hotly contested bid for re-election was entering its final stretch — that there was no evidence the killings were the result of a premeditated terrorist attack, but rather were the result of a protest gone awry. Subsequent disclosures exposed the falsity of that narrative, and the Obama administration ultimately acknowledged that its early statements on Benghazi were untrue.
Liberals have taken advantage of the Obama regime’s stonewalling the Benghazi investigation to claim there’s nothing to the story.
They are wrong, and Trey Gowdy has had enough of the lying:
South Carolina Congressman Trey Gowdy slammed the State DepartmentFriday night over its slow response in finally naming the suspected terrorist groups responsible for the attack in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012.
“I think tomorrow [the State Dept.] is going to announce that we put a man on the moon, that the Berlin Wall fell and that we discovered this neat little drug called penicillin,” Gowdy told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren. “That’s about how far behind the intelligence our State Department is.”
The “shocking part,” Gowdy said, was that one day after the terrorist attack, members of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s inner circle – including Clinton’s Chief of Staff Cheryl Mills and Under Secretary of ManagementPatrick Kennedy – “admitted” that it was Ansar al-Sharia who was responsible.
“So I don’t know why, after a year and a half, they’re finally catching up with the rest of the world.”
As to what the American people can expect next as the wait for answers continues, Gowdy said depositions are ongoing in the House.
“I’m ready to send subpoenas to Hillary Clinton, [Former U.S. Ambassador] Susan Rice, Cheryl Mills and Patrick Kennedy. I’m ready to take their depositions. And I’m ready to send interrogatories to the president.”
Rep. Gowdy is probably familiar with DrJohn’s Law. This is far from over.