I don’t think so. Boehner has caved many times already and he still got elected to the speakership. How many times have I pondered ‘is THIS the time the Republicans will show some backbone’ and each time I am disappointed.
Girding for disappointment again:
WI Sen. Ron Johnson warned yesterday that he believes John Boehner would lose his speakership if he caved on higher taxes.
“I don’t quite honestly believe that Speaker Boehner would be speaker if that happens. I think he would lose his speakership,” Johnson told FOX News’ “Special Report.
Boehner is sending the right signals….again:
Speaker John Boehner reportedly told his colleagues to hold their ground, even as Democrats ramp up their public-relations campaign on the sequester. “He told us to stay on offense,” says a second GOP member. “He wants us to stand up and articulate our position. He encouraged us to talk about the replacement packages that we’ve already passed, and to not worry about every story in the press.”
Boehner did not signal any movement toward a deal with the president. The meeting was “light” and “relatively boring,” according to a House staffer. “It was an update. People came back after a week back home, caught up, and heard more of the same on the sequester.”
But as I said….prepare for disappointment if history is any lesson.
Meanwhile The Democrats are sending the bat signals out with the doom and gloom over 85 billion in cuts whilst they had no problem adding 6.2 TRILLION to the deficit. Behold the gradual demise of this one great nation:
1. Sequestration cuts of $85 billion are impossibly painful, the equivalent of asking Uncle Sam to perform an appendectomy on himself with a nail file, but
2. ObamaCare adding $6.2 trillion to the deficit – nearly 75 times the size of the sequester – is no big deal… and even that new projection might under-estimate its cost, because
3. ObamaCare includes a massive expansion of Medicaid, which reluctant states like Florida, and now New Jersey, have been bribed to accept with bags of federal money, and
4. We’re about to extend citizenship to a huge new population of people who will soon enough qualify for this expanded Medicaid coverage – it’s inconceivable that their “access” to such programs will not be swiftly demanded, but
5. Obama’s releasing waves of illegal immigrants from detention because he says that tiny sequestration spending cut makes it impossible to keep them in custody.
Welcome to Obama’s America!